Wednesday, June 10, 2015

SINGAPORE SEA GAMES: A Gold That Didn't Feel Like it

Analysis: I'm as big a supporter of Philippine sports as anyone can get but because of my early training as a journalist, I also like to think that I'm objective (somewhat). And it's that training that forces me to say this: I'm not sure Cantancio deserved the gold medal.



He's certainly won it. And I'm happy he's contributed greatly to the Philippine campaign. But at the end of that bout, Vietnamese fighter Van Hai Nguyen thought he had secured the gold...and I would have agreed with him. Even Cantancio seemed to know it, reeking more of desperate hope than of confidence, while the Viet fighter seemed quite at peace and ready to celebrate. Of course, it was Cantancio's hand that was raised at the end and the Philippines was one gold richer. I just wish I was as sure as the judges.



No comments: